What does haemoglobin level of 16 -17 g/dl indicate?

Hello, My haemoglobin is quite high and generally varies between 16 -17 g/dl. Can you please let me if having high haemoglobin level can cause any impact and what all should i take care to keep it under control. PFA latest full report for your reference .. Regards XXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: does not seem to be of concern Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. This level of hemoglobin is normal for your age. It is a bit on the higher side but ok. The white cell and platelet counts are ok which is good. Does not require further investigations. Do you smoke? Because smoking can also cause this. You don't need to do anything right now. We can monitor the hemoglobin time to time and if it goes above 18 we can do other investigation. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: What does haemoglobin level of 16 -17 g/dl indicate? 2 hours later
Many thanks Indranil for the quick response .. To provide you more information, please note that I do not smoke and drink .. Am quite keen to know what are the reasons for high haemoglobin levels ... Currently am donating blood every 3 months .. any further suggestion from you to keep haemoglobin level under control ... Also if haemoglobin level goes above 18, how it impacts. Let me know if you need any more info. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 hours later
Brief Answer: please refer below Detailed Answer: There are several causes like, smoking, high altitude, kidney disease, heart disease, lung disease, sleep apnea, some tumors, etc. Sometimes no cause is found. there is a rare group of disorders called bone marrow proliferative diseases, which can also cause this. Symptoms, usually above 18-20 g/dl, may be easy bruising, easy bleeding, blood clot formation (potentially leading to heart attacks, strokes, blood clots in the lungs), bone and joint pain, headache, itching, itching after taking a shower or bath, fatigue, dizziness, etc. Currently you need only followup. if it is above 18 or there are symptoms,then investigations will be required.