Ask a Urologist   »  

What does foamy urine indicate?

General Surgeon
I seem to have a UTI. I took a Z PAC. I still have symptoms which is like foamy urine. Have never had a fever. Could this be something else? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chronic kidney disease is possible. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Foamy urine is quite characteristic symptom of protein in the urine. Such protein usually appears due to chronic kidney disease (caused by diabetes or some inflammation for example). Typical symptoms of UTI are frequent urinating, burning while urinating, trace of blood in the urine, lower abdominal pain. So if you have only foamy urine and frequent urinating, chronic kidney disease should be ruled out. To do that, you should start with urine analysis to see if there is any protein in the urine. Nefrologist should be also consulted. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.