What does elevated SGPT indicate?

Apr 2014

Hi I am got my blood test report I have sgpt 69 highest range 48 and little elivated uric acid, Rest everything is in normal range. I drink once or twice in a week 1 beer or 240 ml of whiskey Is there any risk and how can i bring sgpt to normal values
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Increased SGPT indicates liver injury. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX laddi Thanks for writing to HCM Increased SGPT indicates liver injury.It is important to know your lipid profile. You may be suffering from dyslipidemia with fatty liver disease. Deposited fat can cause injury to the liver cells. You need proper clinical examination and few more investigations. Other investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,RFT,Lipid profile,Viral markers,Ultrasound of abdomen.Further investigations can be done if needed. You can take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily after food for three months.It helps in regeneration of damaged liver cells.Further need to continue drug depend upon response. You may also need hypolipidemic drugs if lipid profile is altered. Besides medicines your condition also need changing of life style and diet. You should quit alcohol/beer completely. You should increase your physical activity in the form of exercise,walking etc. You should avoid red meat,high fat milk products,fried and fatty food and should take lot of fibres and fruits in your diet. You will be alright with diet change,exercise and medicines. You also have increased uric acid.It can be managed by changing lifestyle and diet.If it is persistently increased in spite of these measures then medicines like Allopurinol can be prescribed. The recommended goal is to reduce serum uric acid to less than 6 mg/dL. Use of low-purine diet can significantly lower serum uric acid levels. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX