What does dense breast mean?

I have been going for mamography every year for a long time and suddenly, I was diagnosed with dense breast - and was told to come back in 6 months. I feel that maybe I should get a second opinion? YYYY@YYYY Thank you, XXXXXXX XXXX
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: follow up needed Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for the question, Dense breast means that certain areas in the fatty tissue (which the breast is mostly made up of) are prominent. It doesn't mean anything pathological as yet. The breast tissue consists of mammary tissue and fat. If this fat be lies organised into fatty clumps then it can appear lumpy. Don't worry yet. Just follow up with regular examinations and mammography . Hope I have answered your question. Please feel free to ask me if you need further clarifications. Wishing you good health. Regards,
Follow-up: What does dense breast mean? 52 minutes later
I guess I wanted to know why I was not told about dense breast before this?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Depends on the radiographer Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing back, The interpretation of the film would depend on the radiographer. So it would depend on how accurately it was read. On the other hand if your previous mammogram was done a year before, then it's enough time for tissue changes to occur. Hence the interpretation of dense breast in the recent mammogram. Hope that answers your question. Regards