What does calcium deposits on both kidneys mean?

My 5 year old was in the er yesterday and they did a cat scan due to a sledding injury all came back ok except the dr said that they saw calcium deposits on both kidneys?? what does this mean they had no answers just to call his dr?? He is a healthy active little boy is this serious??
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Classic nephrocalcinosis, endocrinologist & nephro Detailed Answer: Good Day Miss Cisler! Thank you for asking. My name is Dr. S Khan and i would like to answer your query for the resent CT scan reports of a healthy 5 year kid of yours. XXXX age of 5 years with such presentation rings a bell of some hormonal derangements most probably parathyroid hormones which are responsible for calcium homeostasis. SO from where i see it it is a case of nephroclcinosis and it is asymptomatic most of the time as in your kids and usually diagnosed accidentally in radiology scans. SO right now its too early to say what it is and what its prognosis could be. It will be decided once work up for all the hormonal and calcium levels with renal functions are done.As nephrocalcinosis can be due to innocuous reasons as well as lethal one. All we need to do is to have monitoring of renal functions and prevent renal compromise. One thing is for sure, there is an underlying cause for this calcium epos its, and increased calcium levels in blood or urine will justify that. SO my advice, seek the paediatric endocrinologist and nephrologist for further management. Hope i was of some help. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask, i would love to answer them, otherwise i request you to kindly close the discussion and rte the answer as per your experience. Take some very good care of yourself and have some very good rest of the day. Regards Dr. S Khan