What does burning pain in leg indicate?

I have a burning pain in my left leg at the top,it feels a bit lumpy it wakes me at night when I turn over on it
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Most probably a nerve pain. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have gone through your query. Usually a burning pain in either leg is caused by nerve compression. You feel it as lumpy on putting pressure over it. Suspected cause is Meralgia paraesthetica( compression or injury of nerve running from spinal cord to thigh). Diagnosis can be made by clinical examination by a local doctor, He may advise you a x-ray to rule out any compression at the spinal cord. MRI may be required for any injury if you were given spinal Anesthesia for DNC. Treatments will vary, depending on the source of the pressure. It may take time for the burning pain to stop and, in some cases, numbness will persist despite treatment. The goal is to remove the cause of the compression. I advise you to Lose weight, wear loose clothing and apply heat. NSAIDs like ibuprofen can help to relieve pain to some extent. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.