What does a parapelvic cysts in MRI mean?

Apr 2014

I got on MRI on my back due to lower back pain and leg pain mild, mri shows back all i all ok for a 57 year old man in good shape BUT noted bright signal in the central component of the left kidney appearing of bright signal on T2 and likely representing parapelvic cysts What does that mean
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Parapelvic cysts are usually incidental findings. Detailed Answer: Hello Rkulisek Thanks for writing to us Parapelvic cysts of the kidneys are simple renal cysts and these are situated adjacent to the renal pelvis.These are usually small in size and mostly these are incidental findings.Small sized parapelvic cyst usually causes no symptoms. But large cysts can cause back pain,hematuria,high blood pressure etc.Parapelvic kidney cyst larger than 3 cm in diameter may damage kidney function. You should avoid strenuous exercise and can have follow up ultrasound to assess increase in size. You should avoid smoking and alcohol if you take. Necessity of treatment varies with patient so you should consult nephrologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow-up: What does a parapelvic cysts in MRI mean? 10 hours later
Is there a natural product or method to reduce the size of the cyst? I excerise on a regular basis approx 8 hours per week, these workouts are of a reasonable hard efforts is this a problem? In the past year my alcohol consumption has gone way up i releize this is not good thing for alot of reasons BUT how mmuch effect does it have on the kidneys and the cyst? Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Generally it doesn't require any treatment. Detailed Answer: Hello Rkulisek Thanks for writing back Parapelvic cysts is a benign condition and necessity of treatment depend upon complications like Pyelonephritis,symptomatic renal stones,backache etc other wise only follow up scan should be done to see increase in size. If it is causing complications then treatment options are surgery or conservative depending upon condition.You should consult your urologist. Parapelvic cysts are not related to hard work or alcohol consumption. It is good that you are aware of side effects of alcohol consumption.You should taper the dose gradually and try to quit it completely.It is not good for health at all.It causes damage to multiple organs. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX