What does a mass near the spine indicate?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son has a very bad back due to getting hurt.He went to the pain doctor and he took an x ray of his back and found a csyt or a tumor and also a mass,not on the spine next to the spine. he said that it was as big as a walnut.Can this be cancer?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs further investigations. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. Mass near spine may be benign tumor or cancer or simply a mass , but if you want to confirm it , you have to consult you doctor for biopsy. But before biopsy your doctor may advise you one of the following scan- - Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the spine, which will show the soft tissues and nerves of the spinal column, -Computerized tomography (CT) scan shows the bones more clearly and can help to determine the extent of the bony disease. Other tests include CT scans of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. - Positron emission tomography (PET) scan to determine where else the cancer may be. Depending upon diagnosis your doctor may advise you treatment in the form of - -Managing your pain by strong painkillers, -Surgery -Radiation and/or chemotherapy. I hope you have got your answer. Thanks. Dr.Singh.