What does a lump on the side of uvula indciate?

I noticed a small bump on the anterior lateral (Right side of the uvula) aspect of my uvula this morning. Its painless and looks fleshy colored maybe the size of a pencil eraser. I know I feel like I have been trying to get sick the last couple weeks and have had a scratchy throat. Otherwise I feel ok. Just concerned me because I have not noticed this before. I have researched it on google today but it kinda throws me everywhere and doesn't give me a direct answer. What is this? I can provide a picture as well
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is inflamed lymph tisse due to viral infection Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. I have seen the picture carefully. The "bump" on the side of uvula, is apparently ectopic lymph tissue that we often call cobblestones. Lymph tissue reacts (enlarges, becomes inflamed) when it is fighting off infection. In most cases, cobblestones indicate a viral pathogen. although allergies could be playing a role in this inflammatory response. When a person is fighting off one viral infection, this person can still catch another virus, prolonging the recovery time. Allergies, of course, can last quite a bit longer. Consult an ENT specialist, who will examine you, take throat swab if required; apprise you of the possible cause and prescribe suitable treatment. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What does a lump on the side of uvula indciate? 7 minutes later
Thank goodness! Makes me feel a little better that it doesn't look too suspicious as of something worse like the "C" word. Does the bump go away on its own and if so how long? I will follow up as sugested but in the here and now its not emergent right?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: It will regress GRADUALLY over 3-4 weeks' time Detailed Answer: If it is due to a viral infection, it will regress completely with 3-4 weeks' time once the virus infection gets cured, UNLESS another virus infection occurs. But the bump may persist for a longer duration in case it is due to allergy. Warm gargles with saline (at least 4 teaspoons of salt in a glass of warm water) 2-3 times a day will relieve you of itchy or sore throat. Ibuprofen will take care of pain in the bump, if any. There is no emergency to consult a doctor right away.