What does a herniated disk in MRI indicate?

I had a MRI yesterday that showed mass/ herniated disk L S 1 nerve root. What is the treatment for this condition? Will I need surgery?
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into the problem I will like to tell you that whether you require surgery for this or not will depend on your treating doctors judgement and he amount of clinical symptoms you have . Suppose if the herniated disc is causing neural compression and leading to radiating pain or sensory symptoms like numbness and paraesthesias or motor symptoms like power loss , foot drop etc then surgey is highly recommended . But if you are asymptomatic you can wait and watch . It will be decided by your treating surgeon after assessing your condition and level of discomfort as a whole . Take care. Dr. Shruti