What does a crease on the left earlobe indicate?

Question
I am a 53 year old female. I am a non smoker, weigh 124lbs, height is 5 ft 6. I have a history of SVT and MVP and pvc's and pac's. I take tenormin and have since age 22. I have noticed a crease in my left earlobe and have always heard on tv on dr's shows that this is an indicator of heart trouble. I have also looked it up on the internet and it says the same thing. I have a yearly echo done for the mvp and I wanted to ask if this is true and should i be concerned about it?
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: There is no cause for concern. Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day I would like to reassure you that there is no cause for concern and excessive worry or fear. If your yearly echo shows no further worsening then there seems to be no cause for concern. Mitral valve prolapse or Mvp is present is 5 % of normal individual. The crease in ear lobe is just a marker for possibility of heart disease especially congenital heart disease. It's not a confirmatory test and rule that every individual having such a crease should have a heart disease . Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. Wishing you a very happy and healthy life. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD

Follow-up: What does a crease on the left earlobe indicate? 25 minutes later
My Dad had blockage and had to have the angioplasty to open up the main artery and I was wondering if I would have blockage and know that an echo would not show up this problem. Would the crease be a marker for blockage? Is there any test that would show up blockage other than the catherization?

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: 2 D Echocardiography is sufficient Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Even if there is a blockage, it will affect the cardiac muscle and cause Ischemic changes in the area supplied by the coronary blood vessel.This Ischemic muscle tissue will have altered wall motion which can be picked up by echo. Presence of normal echo and ECG rules it out. Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak

Follow-up: What does a crease on the left earlobe indicate? 20 hours later
When my Dad had his blockage, he had an echo and it didn't show up anything. Dr. said everything was fine, but it so wasn't. The main artery was blocked a lot.

Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Coronary computed topographic angiogram can be use Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Every individual is unique and many of medical conditions cannot be generalised. To demonstrate blockage of coronary artery Coronary angiography is gold standard. Decision to undertake angiography depends on ECG, stress ECG and Echocardiography findings. Coronary computed topographic angiogram is a noninvasive method for demonstration of blockage. You can discuss the indication with your Cardiologist. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak

Follow-up: What does a crease on the left earlobe indicate? 11 minutes later
I thought u said the three D echo would show up if there were blockage in the previous answer. I am confused now. What is a coronary computed topographic angiogram? Is it that catherizathion I mentioned that I was afraid of?Even if there is a blockage, it will affect the cardiac muscle and cause Ischemic changes in the area supplied by the coronary blood vessel.This Ischemic muscle tissue will have altered wall motion which can be picked up by echo. Presence of normal echo and ECG rules it out. This is what u previously said, so which is it? Does the echo show up blockage like u stated or does there need to be further testing?

Brief Answer: CT cornary angiogram is like conventional CT Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Echocardiography does not show the blockage in coronary artery, it shows indirect markers of blockage like localized Hypokinesia( decreased movement of wall compared to surrounding normal myocardium) . In my clinical practise I only go for invasive angiography or even non invasive Coronary Computed Tomography angiography only if i notice any ECG changes or any subtle abnormality in Echocardiography. Coronary Computed Tomogram Angiography is like conventional CT scan and the contrast is injected through Intravenous route in the cubital fossa of forearm, its non invasive as it does not require catheterization of heart as in case of Angiography. So if you are very much concerned about missing blockage by Echocardiography, i would suggest you to go for CT Coronary Angiography in consultation with your Cardiologist. Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha