What does "Right Basilar opacity with some residual linear scarring" men?

I am a 63 yr old female, in good health, average weight of 128 and am 5'4" tall. In November I had pneumonia with a lung effusion (very painful!). I was concerned due I started having a few new symptoms this Feb and had a follow up x ray done. The results given to me were "Right Basilar opacity with some residual linear scarring" also "Confluent opacities residual linear opacities" . What does this mean in layman terms? Obviously my doctor is not that concerned.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: scarring as a result of trauma due to infection Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic Both the right and left lung are divided into different parts called lobes. The right lung is divided into 3 lobes; the right upper lobe, right middle lobe and right lower lobe. The right lower lobe would also be referred to as the 'base' of the right lung. Basilar means that the findings were in the base of the lung. Opacity is an area that looks darker than the surrounding areas. Right basilar opacity means that in the base of the right lung there is an area that appears darker than the surrounding lung tissue. Residual linear (in shape of a line) scarring- there is remaining scarring from the infection in november. The opacity seen is also likely as a result of your previous infection. The lung tissue can become altered as a result of infection, it becomes darker due to the scarring and other infection changes. It does not necessarily affect present function just means there is evidence of past infection. Confluent opacities - confluent implies the darkened areas were linked together, again this is attributed to the residual (remaining) scarring. It is not indicative of present infection. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: What does "Right Basilar opacity with some residual linear scarring" men? 1 hour later
Thank You for explaining
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: no problem Detailed Answer: feel free to contact with any additional queries