What does "Normal developmental variant" mean in an MRI report?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Had vertigo spell in mic that lasted a few sec.. But left me off balance until today... It's much better bit I still feel the swaying when I standing still.. Goes awa when I am moving... So scared MRI was unremarkable.. Went for mra and got results says normal examination as impression. There are findings but repot says findings are in normal developmental variant .. What does that mean?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 days later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to us Normal developmental variant means normal anatomy is different from other persons but it is not causing any problem to the patient. During development of organs there may be some natural variation because of some unknown facts.Organogenesis is a very complex process and in condition like yours certain abnormal or deficient structure is compensated by the function of other structures. In your case there are some anatomical deviation of normal blood vessels in brain and these are very minor vessels and their functions are compensated through collateral vessels. In your case main blood vessels in brain and their branches are normal.There are few deviation from normal anatomy like in A2 segment of right anterior cerebral artery which is not developed. There is also duplication(means doubling) of right superior cerebellar artery.There is a small fenestration at the origin of basilar artery.AICA(Anterior inferior cerebellar artery) is not seen in either side.These are very minor findings and doesn't cause any problem to the patient.It can be consider as normal findings. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "Normal developmental variant" mean in an MRI report? 9 minutes later
Is what I have something bad.. Can u say my mra is normal? Why am I still feeling like I am swaying or off balance at times.. Can any if the funding be a cause of it.. Dii have a stroke, I had vertigo spell which now has left me off balanced slightly.. When I sit I feel like I float.. Scary.. MRI of brain was unremarkable.. What else can this be? Can my sinuses make me feel unbalance.. Like my equilibrium is off. I have attached my mra of neck now for you to review as well anatomical deviation of normal blood vessels in brain what does that mean.. can that harm me

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Inner ear pathology should be ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You don't worry about minor anatomical variations in brain vessels.Your MRA brain is almost normal except some anatomical variations.These shouldn't cause you problem.Your problems may be due to other reasons. You need proper clinical examination and rule out other causes for your problem. You need to examine your ears as inner ear pathology causes same symptoms. Hypertension should also be ruled out. You don't have stroke. I can't see MRA of neck in attached files.Both attached files are of brain MRA,so please upload MRA of neck again.I shall be pleased to interpret it. You should consult ENT specialist besides consulting neurologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "Normal developmental variant" mean in an MRI report? 3 minutes later
Ent keeps telling me it takes time to go away! And that I am feeling the residual! What is inner ear pathology. Mra of neck was unremarkable

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detail answer below. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Inner ear pathology may be acute vestibular neuritis.It is generally self limiting and subsides by its own. It may take three to six weeks to settle completely.Other conditions like Meniere's disease,Labyrinthitis is associated with hearing loss so these are excluded. So i think you should wait and take anti vertigo drugs during this period. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does "Normal developmental variant" mean in an MRI report? 13 minutes later
I went to vestibular therapy and they said I def don't have neuritis and won't be able to help me!!! Neuro thinks I had bppv with resudual effects that will clear on own. Meclizine made it worse! Had to stop it It's 3 months today that I had this vertigo.. I found from MRI of neck that I have herniated disc and bulging disc on c5-6-7 Edit Delete Posted By : Pinasantanna Should I ask for cat scan of sinus?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Vertigo is not related to disc prolapse or sinus. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back Your neurologist may be right but in Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) vertigo get worsen with change in position of head or posture of body.It has to be relate clinically in your case.Point against BPPV in your case is that you have vertigo even in resting position whereas BPPV should cause worsening of symptoms during head turn or change in posture. You can wait for some more time for spontaneous resolution as advised by neurologist.Neurologist is the most competent person to treat you. Disc herniation is neck region doesn't cause vertigo.These are age related degenerative changes. CT Scan of PNS(Para nasal sinus) is not useful as it is not related to vertigo. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX