What does "Nature of specimen:FNAC from rignt cervical level V node" mean?

Hi Sir, My dad has many lumps all over the body,got it by hereditary.he went through FNAC test,we are not able to understand the FNAC report.FNAC report shows Clinical diagnosis:Multiple cervical lymphnodes Nature of specimen:FNAC from rignt cervical level V node Report:Received 4 alcohol fixed smears Microscopic description: Smear shows numerous monotonous population of lymphoid cells These smears are negative for granuloma Whole lymphnode biopsy is recommended for a definate diagnosis My dad is afraid of biopsy...does the above FNAC report confirms lymphoma??His blood results were normal with adequate platelets and ESR is in a normal range with haemoglbin 13
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Biopsy is essential to make definative diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern for your father. Your father seen to be suffering from Cervical Lymphadenopathy. Since the FNAC from cervical lymph node is showing presence of lymphoid cells, So it is essential that you should get his Lymph Node Biopsy to make a definative diagnosis. Accurate histologic diagnosis can be made only with help of a Biopsy. A pathologist experienced in lymphoma diagnosis uses Special stains ,immunophenotyping by immunocytochemistry and/or flow cytometry to aid diagnosis. Please explain your father that Biopsy is essential for making a definative diagnosis and to plan furthur treatment.Explain him that Cervical Lymph Node Biopsy is a small procedure , generally done under the effect of Local Anaesthesia . Following the biopsy few stiches( sutures) are applied and bandage is applied.Sutures are removed after few days.Patient generally experience pain at local site , which can be managed with oral analgesics. Hope it helps. Dr. Kavita Paul
Follow-up: What does "Nature of specimen:FNAC from rignt cervical level V node" mean? 21 minutes later
Hello Mam, does having lymphoid cells is confirmed of lymphoma..?We are on positive side that he should not have lymphoma. We heard that cancer cells will spread all over the body very quickly after lymph node biopsy.That is bothering us very much.My uncle who went through lymph node biopsy,have died in 3 months after biopsy and the reason was cancer cells spread very fastly. Is that true?
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: just presence of lymphoid cells are not diagnostic Detailed Answer: Hi, Actually just the presence of lymphoid cells on FNAC is not diagnostic of Lymphoma.On Biopsy we look for various other parameters like lymph node architecture, presence of abnormal cells,reactive cell infiltrate etc. which help in making a diagnosis of Lymphoma. Since there were no such features which were evident of FNAC,So it is difficult to say. So i would advice that you go for Lymph Node Biopsy. Cervical Lymph Node Biopsy is a small superficial procedure done under the effect of Local Anesthesia and does not lead to spread of malignancy.Your doctor will make a small cut in the skin and remove a lymph node. Hope it helps. Dr. Kavita Paul
Follow-up: What does "Nature of specimen:FNAC from rignt cervical level V node" mean? 14 hours later
My Dad's pleural fluid report shows LDH - 360 IU/ML ADA - 20 IU/ML Glucose - 104 Mg/dl Protein - 4.3 g/dl serum creatinine - 0.96 mg/dl Glycated Hb-Hba1c - 5.9% Does these values shows malignant effusion or non malignant effusion?
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 31 hours later
Brief Answer: kindly provide me complete detail Detailed Answer: Hi, I would be able to interpret the above reports if you can provide me the other blood reports like Serum Total Proteins,Serum Albumin , Serum LDH and Serum Glucose. The above reports are suggestive of high LDH and high Protein levels, which is seen in exudative Pleural Effusion.Kindly tell me the Pleural Fluid Cytology,Microscopy and ADA reports. You can scan and attach the reports. Dr. Kavita Paul