What does GFR and aspartate aminotranferase mean?

My job for the last 4 years was as an Infantry Man in the United States Marine Corps,i am in the transition of getting out of the service and moving on to do greater things. Every service member before getting out need to go through a process called a Final Physical wich is pretty much a final check up that includes blood work,a psychological exam etc.I am a little concerned about my blood work ,because i just got my results back and there where a few abnormalities in them.The one that really concerns me is the value of "GFR (aspartate aminotransferase)/non black" with a value of 400.It was highlighted and my military doctor told me that it was a somewhat of a problem.He however didn't take his time to explain what that actually means or what the implications of having this GFR with a value of 400 means.Would you please be so kind as to explain to me what this acronym means,and health wise what it affects.And should i show any concerns for it.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later
Brief Answer: GFR Detailed Answer: Dear sir, GFR and aspartate aminotranferase are two entirely different entities. The maximun GFR any person can have is 120 ml/min and is a function of kidneys. The higher the GFR the better it is. Aspartate aminotransferase is a liver enzyme and high values of it suggest that you have liver ailment. You should cut down on alcohiol intake and repeat it after 2 weeks and see how the things are. Take care Sincerely Rajiv goel