What does Fibrotic scarring and apical pleural thickening in x-ray report mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
My xray results impression stated: Fibrotic scarring, left upper lobe with left apical pleural thickening. I am too worried about this, is this curable? I have episodes of bronchitis, dry coughs. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: X-ray findings are due to past infection. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Bronchitis and dry cough is not related to X-ray findings. X-ray findings shows sequel of past infection and not related to present illness. Fibrotic scarring and apical pleural thickening is due to healing of past pulmonary infection.Any infection heals by fibrosis.You shouldn't worry about this. For your present complain you may need antibiotics.Generally it is associated with superadded infection so it is safe to give antibiotics.Steroid and bronchodilator inhaler may be needed if there is spasm in chest. Routine hemogram should also be done. You should also quit smoking if you are smoker because it aggravates bronchitis. Stay away from dust and smoke. You should consult your physician. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does Fibrotic scarring and apical pleural thickening in x-ray report mean? 41 minutes later
Sorry dr i am just new w/ d application, can antibiotics cured my pleural thickening? Thanks for your answer dr and rest assured that i will personally drop to my doctor. Thank you in advance.

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Pleural thickening can't be treated by antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing back Pleural thickening can't be treated by antibiotics. Mild pleural thickening can be ignored because it doesn't cause any problem. If it is gross and it is compromising respiratory process then surgical removal can be planned. I don't think you need any surgical intervention. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX