What does "ESR of 40mm/hr and HDL 38" indicate?

My ESR is 40mm/hr HDL is 38 A/G Ratio is 1.3 I am women 46 yrs old with 2 children Is this OK
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Raised ESR: possible cause bone overgrowth Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Your ESR level of 40 mm/hr indicates a possible inflammation somewhere in the body. In my opinion possible causes for such a level could be: -Bone abnormalities (like the bone growth described by you in your medical history; please request for a check on your serum uric acid levels to rule out gout) -Vascular conditions -Cardiac or other organ abnormalities (may require an EKG and ultrasound examination of the abdomen and pelvis, if bone abnormalities have been ruled out) Please first look into addressing the bone spurt, and once this is resolved, check your ESR again, if it has reduced then this could very well be the cause. If not, consider other possibilities. As for ht HDL level of 38. HDL is the good cholesterol and in women is recommended to be above 50. To increase this, I would recommend a TLC diet which you can get from your dietitian, and mild exercise of at least 30 minutes per day. Other than the raised ESR, I do not think anything else should be a cause for concern. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.