What does AST 38 and ALT 66 indicate?

received a level of ast of 38 and alt of 66. Should i be concerned. I did drink four or five beers the day before the test, and drank eight or nine scotches two days before. Does this affect the test?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, follow up with your doctor!!! Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this abnormal test and al the disturbing thoughts this has caused you. I promise to provide my best input to help you resolve this. For true, these tests are abnormal. If it were related to alcohol, AST would have been higher than the ALT and the ration would generally be greater than 2:1. I will suggest that you meet with your primary care physician and get a more comprehensive liver enzyme panel investigations. This would shed more light on the extend of this abnormality and what the possible causes are. These test suggest a liver injury but the cause is not yet clear. Some possible causes include viral hepatitis, auto immune, drugs, etc. Your doctor would be able to navigate through this. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.