What does 3cm axillary lymph node indicate in an ultrasound report?

Hi I have had a diagnostic mamo and us and now follow up ultrasound, Report says still believes several solid noduals are consitent with fibrodenomas. Then there is just another line that says 3cm axillary lymph node. The report six months ago says 1.6 cm lymph node. The radiologist has not put any BIRAD score or suggested follow up and the breast surgeon linked to the hospital is on maternity leave with no replacement. I am going out of my mind with worry . Should I worry that it says 3cm axillary lymph node ? I looked this up - this is not a normal size ? I cant see the breast surgeon till she gets back but I dont know whether to financially expose myself and see a new surgeon on a whim that it ' may ' be something. Can someone please tell me what I should be looking for ? PS I have tried the radiologist and they dont let me speak to them so I am a standstill. Advice would be appreciated thankyou
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer below Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. It appears that you have a significant family history of breast cancer. So we need to be a bit cautious about everything. Did any of the affected members had BRCA mutation tested? Coming to this report, 3 cm is definitely suspicious. Some other characteristics are important, like the architecture of the node, preserved fatty hilum, etc which can give some clue to the cause of enlargement. I think we may need to get a needle aspiration or biopsy to have peace of mind. If it is malignant and grows beyond this, then it will cause lot of anxiety later. You can get opinion of another breast surgeon, or even a general surgeon if that is easier. Hope I have answered your query. i will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: What does 3cm axillary lymph node indicate in an ultrasound report? 8 minutes later
Hello Thank you for the answer. Were you able to view the attachments ? I sent over the latest ultrasound the one labelled 30 shows the 3cm axillary . Is it normal for this to not even be mentioned further other than to say its 3cm. This makes me want to beliebve its all ok but I dont know
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, I have seen the attachments Detailed Answer: I am not a radiologist but a 3 cm node is always suspicious. It is better to be sure than late.