What do you suggest for diabetes?

My age is 45, yesterday i suddnly found diabtic and 256 at 6pm and lunch taken at 1pm doctor advised me mrtromin hydr.500 twice,plese suggest me
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get Further Evaluation Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Hi , I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern. Since you are a known hypertensive , i would like to know that have you ever got your Blood Sugars checked earlier? I would recommend you to get your blood sugar levels repeated again from a laboratory to be sure that you really have diabetes and that was not a false reading. This applies strongly in case , if you got your blood sugar checked earlier and it was normal. Diabetes affects our blood vessels and pre-dominently Eyes , Heart , Kidney , Nerves , Brain So , i would also recommend a base line investigations and diabetic work up , so that we can monitor your diabetes in a better way , when you are on medications Get the following tests : 1. Hemogram 2. Kidney Function Test 3. HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin) 4. Urine for Albumin 5. ECG 6. Lipid Profile 7. Eye (Fundus) examination to rule out Retinopathy. 8. Blood Sugar - Fasting & Post Prandial. If your HbA1c is high , for sure you are a diabetic. You can initially start on Tab Metformin Extended release 1 gm per day. Your dose would be adjusted based on your blood sugar levels. This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any query you may please ask me. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD