What do purple discoloration above ankles and calf?

Excellent

Rheumatologist
Question
I have these two areas on my legs right above the ankles around the calf areas. They are purple/redish color and that color goes away when I take a nice shower or I sit in a hot tub for awhile. So far ive taken fluid pills, worn circulation socks, put on Vaseline as this month has been cold so it gets itchy and burns. I can no longer wear shorts cause of the color on my legs. Im 39 yrs old , male 6'2 335lbs. And ive been told I have my moms genes and I have bad circulation. What can I do or take to get my natural color back in my legs
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that your lesions dont look vasculitic in nature but still nothing can be said with surity until seen in person . One strong possibility is of erythema nodosum which can be due to many causes . I would like you to get some tests done like ANA , ENA profile , XXXXXXX for ruling out autoimmune cause . I will advise you to see a dermatologist also because possibilty of drug rash also exists . Whenever a skin lesion is there it has to be examined , looked for margins , tenderness , blanching etc . so we can just discusss the possibilities . Giving you a diagnosis will be difficult . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What do purple discoloration above ankles and calf? 9 hours later
See I told my doctor I wanted to see a dermatologist and he told me there was no need. He told me I have bad circulation and that I need to lose weight. Well I got those circulation socks and they did nothing. Its funny though if im in a hot tub or take a shower my legs will clear up cause of the warm water and my legs become normal but after im out for awhile they go back to that redish/purple color and its ugly and embarrassing. And now with the cold weather they become really dry and itchy. But I want to thank you for your reply it makes me feel a little bit better. I haven't worn shorts in about 3 years cause of my legs and I want to fix that. Is there a pill out there or something that helps people with bad circulation of their blood cells?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, You should get a venous doppler done to see if there is a problem with the circulation . I dont think you need any pills for that , first cause needs to be established then only medicines will be given. I think your doctor is thinking in terms of venous stasis but it is more likely to occur in females , but still venous doppler will clear the picture. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What do purple discoloration above ankles and calf? 3 hours later
I've sent you more photos. Now I think I have done the Doppler before and they use like a machine like the one when a female is pregnant and stuff. But also I was wondering is this curable or am I going to always have this reddish/purple coloring and marking on my leg. But I have printed this up and will bring it to my doctors cause I have the best benefits in Massachusetts and will use those to the fullest to take care of my ugly legs.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, These picutres dont look like that of venous stasis . You are right venous doppler is done with probe that you are mentioning . Can you send me the report of that testing . Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What do purple discoloration above ankles and calf? 18 hours later
I need your contact info please. I really do appreciate all your help. XXXX

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear SIr, it is my pleasure if I would have been of any help to you . we are not allowed to share our details with our clients . You can contact me anytime through this site only . WIsh you good health. Dr. XXXXXXX