What do little bumps around the anus indicate?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I just noticed these little bumps around my anus. I am XXXXXXX i havent had sex in months. And was always protected? What is this?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. It looks to me like HPV infection or less possible herpes infection and this is STD. These viral infections dont occur right after intercourse and it may take months even 1-2 years before it become activated and then manifested on skin. There is also surrounding redness which indicate inflammation and probably this is painful for you. Sp you should visit doctor and start treatment with local creams and systemic antiviral therapy. You should also have sitz baths in salty water, use stool softeners and avoid sexual intercourse till it heals. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: What do little bumps around the anus indicate? 21 hours later
Im at college and not at home. Should i start off using the stool softners and salt baths. And should I go to urgent care for this since im not home until i see my dr? Last night, when i read your response i was scared and couldnt get it off my mind. Is this something i should be scared for the rest of my life even after healing?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: You should not be scared. This is benign infection and it may be difficult to treat but there are various treatment methods,sometimes just topical creams is enough and sometimes more agressive treatment is neccessary,but in every case it cant cause serious consequances. This is not an emergency and you can wait if there is no pain and redness progression. So just dont worry and visit proctologist or dermatologist when you can,they will prescribe more specific treatment than stool softeners and sitz baths. After it heals it can be cured till rest of life or it can be in inactive state for many years. But now it is important to stop infection progression and reduce inflamamtion and pain.
Follow-up: What do little bumps around the anus indicate? 2 days later
I just wanted to let you know, I went to the local clinic department and got checked on including all STD tests. She was very nice and wrote me a prescription for aldara. Im to put that on every monday, wednesday and friday nights; than wash in the morning. So, i will start thst tonight. Maybe you can answer this, should i apply diirectly on the warts, or apply in the whole area? I want to thank you for all your help through this process. And i believe ill be able to sleep normally again tonight!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: apply it in the whole area.Despite,warts which are visible,there are also microscopic skin changes and it should be covered with aldara too,so just apply it widely around anus.