What do bumps near the base of penis indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I have had two bumps near the base of my penis for a about 2 years now, I shaved one day and nicked myself in the two areas in question. The following day I had sex with my girlfriend and spots appeared to be small brown spots they have gradually gotten slightly larger since then, I have done the white vinegar test several times and they did not turn white, should I be worried?
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: It looks likely to be Sebaceous Cysts. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have two bumps over base of the penis since last two years and have noticed them to increase in size gradually. These are Sebaceous Cysts. The skin in this region is rich in sebaceous glands and hence prone to get more sebaceous cyst due to accumulation of sebum beneath the skin. Normally they fade away without treatment however they need to be treated if increase in size or get infected. Please consult qualified General Surgeon for clinical evaluation You need to get them excised in Toto (Completely along with the sac). This is a simple surgery done under local anaesthesia as a out patient procedure and offers permanent cure. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What do bumps near the base of penis indicate? 1 hour later
Would a photo help?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes You can upload photographs. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up .Photographs will help me to make comments precisely and advise further treatment. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What do bumps near the base of penis indicate? 55 minutes later
You see the ttwo spots near the right

Brief Answer: It does not look like Sebaceous cyst. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up . Based on photographs it does not look like a cyst but a simple abrasion.resulting out of scratching the boil. You need to take broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefexine along with anti inflammatory drug like Diclofenac twice daily along with topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin twice daily. Thanks and regards, Dr,Patil.

Follow-up: What do bumps near the base of penis indicate? 8 minutes later
Do you think they can be genital warts?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No these are not genital warts, Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing again,The appearance of the bump is not like a typical like genital warts. Please follow the treatment suggested . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.