What could cause tender, painful lumps under hte chin high on neck ?

ENT Specialist
Hi im a 24 year old female. Im 60 kg and 161cm. Apart from herat issues in my family im perfectly healthy. Yesterday i noticed a small lump under my chin high on my neck directly in the centre. I didnt think too much of it but not long ago i felt another lump just below the first one. Its extremely painful if i look up towards the ceiling and very tender to touch it. Im worried about what this may be. Any advice would be great.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Small, painful lumps under the chin may be due to Boils or Enlarged sub-mental lymph nodes. Sub-mental lymph nodes drain the lower lip, parts of the cheek, central teeth, floor of mouth, sub-mental salivary glands, tip of the tongue and lower central jaw. Any Oral infection, usually Bacterial, causes these glands to react and enlarge.

Isolated small, recent, painful lumps with no other complaints such as fever, weight loss, fatigue or night sweats, should not be a serious issue.

These are the few questions I would want to know before advising you:
1.What is the approximate size of these swellings?
2.Is the skin overlying the lumps red or inflamed?
3.Are the lumps soft or firm in consistency(feel)?

You may mail the photograph/s (front of neck & neck profile) to YYYY@YYYY with subject: 'ATTN: Dr. Sumit Bhatti'.

If they are increasing in size or number, you should see a General Physician or Dermatologist and a Dentist to start medication which will easily control this condition. Mild infections are self limiting and may not require any treatment. Routine Blood tests, Neck USG (UltraSonoGraphy) and FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) may be done, accordingly.

Anticipating your reply.