What could cause shaky hands?

hi doctor, I have a problem from my childhood. My hands wont be steady. Don't know whether any nerve problem. I dint took any treatment for this. If I lift any object or keep my hand simply it will be shaking. Kindly assist on this. Regards XXXX
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX I need to know if your tremor happens during action (while moving the hand). You have already stated that the tremor happens at rest. Thus I would take it from here. Tremor at rest usually happens due to a condition called as resting tremor. Resting tremor may be caused by three conditions- Parkinson's disease, rubral and psychogenic tremor. All these conditions are seen in certain diseases but are unusual at your age. I think your tremor is just physiological or essential tremor and is not of much concern. My advise will be to avoid coffee, tea, skipped meals. Some medicines can also induce such tremors. Get tested for some basic tests like fasting blood sugar, vitamin B12 levels, serum calcium levels, thyroid profile, lipid profile, serum cortisol levels, etc. Drink pure water and hygienic food. Take vit B12 supplements that are good for nerves. A consultation with a neurologist may help to get to a diagnosis. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee