What could be the reason for swollen legs?

Sep 2013

My dear friend 70 years has swollen legs that drain all the time?
What is this/
Posted Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Swelling over the dependent parts .

Detailed Answer:

Swelling over legs ( dependent parts ) may be due to these reasons, these includes.
1 Congestive heart failure , diagnosis can be confirmed by physical as well clinical examination , echo of heart .
2 Chronic renal failure as this is the most common cause in this age group of patients.Diagnosis can be confirmed by ultrasound of both kidneys ,blood examination for serum creatinine , blood urea examination.
3 Hypo protein level is also an important cause of swelling over dependent parts , diagnosis can be confirmed by blood examination for protein level , urine examination for albumin level .
4 Anemia is one more such cause , diagnosis can be confirmed by blood for hemoglobin level.
In my opinion first of all consult a physician and get his opinion regarding congestive heart failure or chronic renal failure.

Hope I have answered your question. If further any question I will help.
Good luck. Dr. HET