What could be the reason for mismatch in blood sugar level and HbA1c?

I am diabetic and when I check my blood sugars they run about 80-153, but when I go to the doctor and my A1C is done, it is high. Last time in December it was 10.0. Can you explain why that would be?
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Faulty machines or renal problems Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. HbA1c is an reliable indicator of the average blood glucose levels. Increased HbA1C does always well corelated to the blood glucose levels. Well, sometime due to faulty glucometers there can be a mismatch between the two. I suggest you to change the machine or the method of blood glucose estimation and then corelate. Also in some with renal disease, the HbA1c is seen rasied even when the blood glucose is near normal. I recommend a complete renal function test to assess the same regards,