What could be the reason for elevation in liver enzymes?

My liver enzymes are getting higher with a week. My gastro doctor had a bumch of labs done and only a few cane back and he called to say the liver enymes are higher then XXXXXXX 3 labs. I am really scared. I have no symptoms but abdomal bloating. I take an asprin a day , no alcohol ever, take synthyriod . He is waiting for Hep B , A. And C results and so other markers bit inam concerned. Can you please look at these levelsand what you think. I bever ever had anything wring with my labs were always normal.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get a more exhaustive work up!! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these troubling numbers. It is totally understandable to get some level of anxiety with results that are not very normal. The liver enzymes are clearly elevated. other markers of liver disease are okay for now. There are several possible causes of elevated liver enzymes. Some include the viral hepatitis, auto-immune disorders, fatty liver disease, drugs, toxins, etc. It would be very difficult to make an exact diagnosis or pronounce the cause without further investigations. I am happy your doctor is already looking into this and would get some answers as to what is the cause or what the cause is not. I have taken a look at the report and your results. Your studies suggest some degree of iron deficiency anemia suggested by the anemia and the iron studies. I will suggest that you follow up with your doctor and get some more testing. If no specific cause is identified from the viral serologies, further testing to identify rare cause would be pursued. What I will encourage is to continue working with the doctors to get the exact cause mapped out and addressed. I understand your worries. I can only wish that the cause be identified soon and address. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: What could be the reason for elevation in liver enzymes? 6 minutes later
Just back hepatitis work up all negative , juat waiting for ANA but I told him it was elevated for about 5 years . WhAt will thia help him with ? And he is waiting for igg results. I have MRI tomorrow just wish i knew what he was trying to figurenit.
Brief Answer: THanks Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for following up with me. The MRI would look at the structure of the liver. This can provide information on the structure of the liver and show any abnormal masses, structure, bile pathways, the gall bladder, abnormal parenchyma, etc. The truth is that it would provide more information as to what the possible cause of these abnormal enzymes is. The ANA looks for possible auto immune causes. Hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.