What could be the reason and treatment for dark patches below chin?

Jan 2014

My daughter 24 years old has dark patches below her chin. What could be the reason and treatment?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information Detailed Answer: hi. Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX I would like to gather some more information from you so as to be able to help you better. Since how long exactly are the dark patches present? How many? Size of patch(es)? Was there any preceding cause like Acne, Trauma, Burn etc? Have you applied any medication over it? Could you send me a clear picture of the affected area? take care
Follow-up: What could be the reason and treatment for dark patches below chin? 51 minutes later
She has it atleast the last 4 years. She had a lot of acne from the age of 14 and small amount of facial hair. She is now pregnant 4 months. she had it in different parts of face but all that vanished except those below the chin. had consulted a dermatologist 2 years ago. gave some ointment and tab. had reduced considerably that time. one thing I omitted is she had undergone laser 3-4 sittings for hair removal two years ago.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for the additional information. Seems to be Post-Inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) that has been persisting for long. Pregnancy might have aggravated it even further due to increased melanocyte-stimulating (MSH) hormone made by the placenta which causes any pre-existing pigmentation to become more prominenet. MSH is also resposible for certain physiological hyperpigmentary changes during pregnancy like Linea Nigra, Melasma/Chloasma etc Azelic acid cream/gel acts against both acne and Post inflammatory Hyperpigmentation. You can ask her to apply twice daily(rub in gently). Its safe to use in pregnancy. You can ask for a prescription for it from a dermatologist. I would advice not to take any oral tablets for now(till pregnancy is over). take care regards
Follow-up: What could be the reason and treatment for dark patches below chin? 18 minutes later
Many thanks Doctor. As you said it aggravated after pregnancy. I think there is no reason for worries. right? may be we can get cleared after pregnancy completely, right?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: Hi. Yes nothing to worry at all. After pregnancy it will anyways become lighter, as the levels of MSH return towards normal. You can apply Azaleic acid cream even during pregnancy (it is safe) OR you can choose to delay using it, till after pregnancy. Entirely your wish take care