What could be the cause of smelly mucus discharge with stool, gastric reflux and heartburn?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello I have strong yellowish very smelly mucus discharge with stools . I am also having strong gastric reflux with heartburn. What is wrong? Thanks
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Some amount of mucus in stool is normal. But if more mucus is seen and if the stool is foul smelling, then it is an indication that you have probably an infection affecting the colon. A stool test may be done for confirmation. You can consider taking probiotics. Heartburn as you said is a symptom of acid reflux disease. You can take otc Prilosec for relief. Avoid coffee, citrus and fatty food. Do not eat full stomach. Eat smaller meals and go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What could be the cause of smelly mucus discharge with stool, gastric reflux and heartburn? 37 hours later
Thank yiu very much for your answr. Since a day i donnot have anymore mucus in my stool and am taking probiotics. Do you think i would still need to di a stool test and go to doctor? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Continue taking probiotics. Detailed Answer: Hi, Since you are not having mucus any more in your stool, I do not think you need to get your stool tested. or go to a doctor. You can continue taking probiotics till you find complete relief. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What could be the cause of smelly mucus discharge with stool, gastric reflux and heartburn? 2 days later
Hello Doctor, yesterday and today i started having mucis again in my stools. I am continuing to take probiotics but maybe now it is not enough? i would like to avoid to take antibiotics but if i reallly need to what kind would you suggest to take? I am a vety allergic person , i have many food allergies and if possible would like to take an antibiotic with lower allergic reaction risks. What do yiu suggest i should do? Try to eat certain food that could help? Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, As mentioned in my earlier post, a stool analysis may be done. Only if infection is confirmed, you may require a course of antibiotics. If stool analysis does not reveal any infection and you have persistent symptoms, then a colonoscopy may be done to look in to the colon to find the cause. And as mentioned earlier some amount of mucus in stool is normal. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What could be the cause of smelly mucus discharge with stool, gastric reflux and heartburn? 8 hours later
Thank you very much. Today I do not feel very well I have very warm stomac and some lower back pain and I feel feverish. I am really concerned, my doctors office is today closed and I do not know what to do at this point. As antibiotics here I have Clundamycin and sulfameth/trimethoprim ( never used but I am concerned since I have many allergies). Please help me I am really concerned. Also I have been in Colombia for 4-5 days last weekend and do not know if this could help. Thanks and would appreciate your help. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Since you have had a recent visit to another country and also feverish and having stomach pain, it is highly possible that you have got some stomach infection. If meeting a doctor is not possible, you can consider taking ciprofloxacin ( 500 mg twice a day) and metronidazole ( 400 mg thrice a day) along with probiotics. Since you have fever also, take tylenol. You need not take the antibiotics you have mentioned. Just take what I have suggested here. But do not forget to see your doctor. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What could be the cause of smelly mucus discharge with stool, gastric reflux and heartburn? 3 minutes later
Ok I will do so. Thank you very much for your help.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: .