What could be the cause of pain in knee post fall with no fractures detected in X-ray ?

hi i fell down the stairs the other day with my leg bent and it dragged down the wall at the same time... i went to the er next day as i could put no weight on it... the dr. took xrays and said it was not broken.... wrapped a bandage on it and said dont put much weight on it for four days.. its been three days now my calf is also bothering me.... feels cold and if i bend my i knee i feel alot of pressure... what could be wrong the pain goes all the way too my foot??
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

It seems to me that you have some ligament/tendon injury.If your xrays prove that there is no fracture,then that good news.

However,4 days is not enough for the injury to heal.It will take far longer and with complete rest.You should apply a compression bandage throughout the day and only remove it when you sleep.You will have to keep your weight off it.

Also take the help of painkillers.
If you are in doubt take a second opinion regarding the xrays.There may be a hairline fracture that was missed.

If there are any colour changes i think you should inform you doctor to rule out muscle hematoma.
You need to rest your leg at least 2 weeks,before you should put any weight on it.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.