What could be the cause of numbness in right knee?

Jun 2015

Right side of right knee in a small area below the indent and above a strong muscle or bone of the leg - has a feeling of numbness - rather when I touch that area it feels very different to the outside area and on other parts of the knee and leg and occasionally there is a vein running across the top of my knee and it seems to swell and very occasionally will have a slight sensation of perhaps itchiness/burn sensation.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Any history of injury or trauma to the knee joint? 2. Sensation of numbness or burning sensation can be due to neurological damage secondary to Hypertension & Diabetes (known as Hypertensive neuropathy & Diabetic neuropathy respectively). Is there is significant past history of systemic disease like Diabetes, Hypertension, Thyroid disorder, etc. ? 3. Any recent history of Stress, inadequate hydration, improper nutrition & lack of sleep? 4. Any history of prolonged intake of certain medications? 5. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption? If your answer to the above mentioned questions is NO, then the symptoms can be attributed to inadequate hydration status & electrolyte imbalance of the body or dietary deficiencies of certain nutrients like Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin B 12, Folic acid, etc. which help in blood formation & nerve conduction. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of nervigenic agents as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet. If you still find any difficulty, kindly get certain investigations like complete blood count, fresh estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels, Thyroid profile & nerve conduction studies to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Till then, maintain adequate hydration & proper nutrition status, exercise regularly and avoid stress. Wishing you a Good Health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Thanks & take care.