What could be the cause of itching around the private part?

Question
My seven year old sons private area has been itching for several days now. It does not appear to be red or irritated but it is very obviously bothersome to him. All I have done thus far is put a little baby powder on him. My Dad recommended lotion. What could be the cause of this?
Posted Sun, 18 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 31 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
The most common cause of itching around the private part is excessive sweat which is known as sebum. Putting baby powder will keep the area dry and help itching. Your description fits in that category since your son doesn't have a rash or any swelling. However, if it continues then
you should take him to his physician for an exam. Other issues like a fungal infection or eczema can give rise to a similar situation but there would be some obvious rash or swelling in place.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Kindest regards
Dr.S.K.Mukherjee

Follow-up: What could be the cause of itching around the private part? 15 hours later
I took him to the Doctor this morning and it seems to be eczema. Do you have any reccomendations for treatment of this?

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 16 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thank you for contacting me.
For the eczema, my personal preference is Fucibet cream which needs to be applied
twice daily.
Kindest regards
Dr.S.K.Mukherjee

Follow-up: What could be the cause of itching around the private part? 4 hours later
Is that over the counter or perscription?

Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 11 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
I am sorry but you need a prescription for that. You may consult your doctor.
Kindest regards
Dr.S.K.Mukherjee