What could be the cause of hard, painfull lump on pallette near tonsils ?

Hello I was removing tonsil stones last night when I noticed a lump about the size of a pea. It was on the other side of the pallette where the tonsils are, it was hard and painful, I pressed the area and XXXXXXX pus with black dots (like pepper) can squishing out followed by blood. My throat is really sore this morning. Could it have been a big tonsil stone on the other side of the pallette ie on the tonsils. Thanks
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later

From your description it seems that you had a tonsillary abscess due to infection of the tonsil.

Usually it is associated with difficulty in swallowing, cough and fever.

1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.

2)For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids.

3)Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Soar Substances.

4)Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must to get relief and you can start taking them in consultation with your physician who will tell you the most appropriate schedule for you after proper examination.

Please do get examined by your doctor to know the exact cause of the lump in your throat.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.