What could be the cause of bad smell coming from testicles?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
For the last two weeks I have been noticing a bad "funky" odour coming from beneath my testicles. No amount of washing makes a difference. Sometimes I will notice myself sweating in this area and then there is the bad smell like old cheese. What could be the cause of this?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 days later
Brief Answer: Kindly see the sugestions below Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I completely understand your concern for bad odour coming from beneath testicles. This is a common problem post 50 years of age this type of bad odour most commonly is a hygiene issue. Skin at and near testicle area is moist and is prone for proliferation of bacteria at the area super-added with fungal proliferation too. This is due to the medical fact that the groin area is always a closed area. It is open only at the time of bathing. Rest of the time it has a wear and tear by heat, humidity and friction form clothing. All these things cumulatively cause damage to the skin which may result in accumulation of mild to moderate dead skin and finally decaying of sweat by the bacteria producing typical odour at the affected site. I suggest you to kindly check for any recent change in life style where the offending factor could be present. An important cause is a change in sugar level. Even if it is not evident in blood tests then sub-clinical level of sugar also predispose the bacterial proliferation and thus the bad odor. So I Suggest you to go for blood sugar check. To get the area in better condition kindly follow the suggestions below: 1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze any of the affected areas. I suggest you to even not to touch the area unnecessarily. 2. Do not apply any creamy or oily stuff directly at or near the groin area. 3. Try to avoid any home remedies suggested by your friends or family members or otherwise self implicated therapies also. 4. Try avoiding situations of heat, sweating and humidity for long hours. Do not take hot showers and avoid heavy exercise and gym for few days. 5. Take two times bath. Do simple cold water or mildly warm water compresses (whatever temperature suits you) for three to four times a day. 6. Wear lose cotton clothes and cotton undergarments and change them two times in day. 7. You can apply cream containing anti-fungal and antibacterial in it for two times per day. Apply it in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to the naked eye. Do not apply beyond 14 days. 8. Do not sit for long hour continuously. Do not worry you will be alright soon. Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be glad to help. Regards. Dr Sanjay MD (Dermatology)