What could be the cause of a non-itchy red spot which originally was a small white spot ?

I am 58 yrs old. About a week ago, I had a small white spot, I scratched it thinking it was a white head. Since then, it is now a red spot smaller than a pea, and it flakes up, and peels, and the red spot remains.. it doesn't itch. What could this be
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

From what you describe, the area is more than likely an inflamed sebaceous gland which developed a local and very minor infection. Your immune system will generally be able to clear the infection without a problem. I suspect what you see now is residual inflammation and healing.

I recommend that for now you keep the area clean and dry. Do not pick at the skin. Start soaking the area in a warm bath twice per day. The warm bath will help open the pores around the area and promote continued healing.

I don't think this is any kind of worrisome skin condition. If, however, the area does not resolve and clear up within the next 10 days I would ask that you contact us again and send a picture of the area in question. At that point we can make further recommendations.

I hope you have found my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.
Follow-up: What could be the cause of a non-itchy red spot which originally was a small white spot ? 21 minutes later
The skin that covers the red spot grows quickly and it rubs off easily do to washing or even putting a shirt on.. Of course I looked on here prior to asking you, it shows pics of these awful skin conditions.. and I panicked. Can I put neosporin on it?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 minutes later
Hello again,

You can certainly put some neosporin on it. This might provide some added protection against skin breakdown and infection so it is absolutely safe to use in your case.

Again I hope this has proven helpful for you and I remain available if you have additional concerns.