What could be the cause for swelling on base of tongue?

Could it be a swollen taste bud or polyp onbthe bacl left base of my tongue?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Polyp is not likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. A swelling on the left side of the base of the tongue can be due to an allergic reaction, ulcer due to viral infection or smoking, infection causing an abscess, tongue bite or local irritation. The swelling is not likely to be related to a prominent taste bud or a polyp. However, a direct examination by a dentist is an integral part of diagnosis. The treatment will depend on the cause. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for swelling on base of tongue? 16 minutes later
I also have a constant feeling of something stuck in Back of tongue/ throat
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: It can be due to an ulcer. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Such feeling can happen due to the swelling itself or an associated ulcer in the area. A direct examination is necessary to detect this. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards