What could be the cause for severe abdominal muscle spasms?

Hi I am a 37 year old female- over the course of a week or so I have been experiencing strange adominal spasms feels like a XXXXXXX horse on your abdomen It has happened on both side of my ribs and midsection I have not had any stomach issues such as change in bowels I have been to my doctor and had blood tests which have come up normal along with an abdominal examination. My doctor wants me wait two weeks or so and return if the cramping continues Do you think it is safe to take the wait and see approach
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can safely wait. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The XXXXXXX horse like muscle spasms of the abdominal wall are likely to be due to benign causes like decreased fluid intake, electrolyte imbalance, nerve root irritation, methylcobalamin deficiency, etc. Since your blood tests have come normal, no serious cause is likely. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this. These cramps at times may be associated with POTASSIUM deficiency and so foods such as bananas, potatoes, prune juice and dried fruit are to be taken as dietary supplement. Also, calcium fortified foods like seafood and fish, almonds, flaxseed, oats, prunes, sesame seeds, tofu and XXXXXXX can help to stave off muscle spasms. Avoid acidic foods and drinks like tomatoes and vinegar which blocks the body’s natural ability to absorb calcium leading to muscle cramps. You can follow these measures for a week and see if it improves. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What could be the cause for severe abdominal muscle spasms? 5 minutes later
Thank you very much you have put my mind at ease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you. I am glad I could help. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards