What could be the cause for mucus in throat and bruising in eye?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
10 days ago I was hit in the eye at the same time I was beginning to feel a cold coming on. The next day, in addition to the black eye, I was very sick. My throat was very sore and shortly after the mucus started. The night I was hit in the eye, I had some blood coming out of my nose, so when I started blowing my nose due to the cold I initially saw red blood along with mucus. Shortly after the redness became more of a brown accompanied with the mucus, but only out of the nostril on the same side as the eye that was hit. I was traveling for business and in that time I took Mucinex at 4 hour intervals. During that time I also experienced numbing along the side (same side I was hit) of my nose down to my lips, in addition to a tooth ache. Since the amount of mucus and brownish coloring had not reduced in a week, I visited the doctor (3 days ago) and was prescribed an antibiotic that would help with potential sinus issues. The amount of brown and mucus seemed to reduce over the past two days, however today everything that I'm spitting up seems to have a lot of that brown coloring (almost black). It is no longer coming out of just the nostril on the side I was hit, but I'm mostly spitting out this stuff. I feel a slight sinus pain throughout the day but nothing significant, and the numbness has reduced almost completely. The bruising from getting hit in the eye is pretty much gone too.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: injury and infection Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out. First of all let me assure you that since there is no active bleeding now and since the swelling of the eye has also reduced you have nothing to worry about. Just think over these: - the altered colored mucous is fine as it indicates an injury which is most probably very healed and just recovering - our nose is very vascular so even a small injury can cause bleeding but then again due to the same reason, injuries will heal faster too!! - do steam inhalation for a couple of weeks - take an antihistamine like levocetrizine in consideration with your doctor. - do not blow or sneeze hard Wait for a couple of weeks and if the symptoms do not recover then take a CT PNS AND get back to me or any ENT with the report or else do not worry Hope this helps Any other doubts do ask Regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: What could be the cause for mucus in throat and bruising in eye? 21 hours later
I have a soccer game tomorrow, and I'm still in the same condition. Assuming I don't get hit in the face again, would this be detrimental to my recovery? I would also like to go back to the gym - will that be a problem? Also, the brown blood coming up with phlegm (which is all day long) seems to be coming from my lungs. It is no longer coming out of the injured nostril. Sometimes it's just phlegm, but most of the time it is purely brown. Why would the blood be coming from a different location now? My throat also gets more sore as the day goes on, likely because I keep getting stuff out throughout the day aggravating it. At night when I lay down I can hear the phlegm in my lungs (or maybe my throat). I just wanted to make sure the previous diagnosis still stands based on this additional information.
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: be careful Detailed Answer: Hello again, You can go for the game but of course you must be careful. If you are having no swelling or pain then you have nothing to worry about. The altered color phlegm however is not a good sign though. Also since your throat is also sore, it could be an infection. For this I would definitely recommend an ENT consult so that the source of the phlegm can be ascertained and a proper treatment done. Hope this helps Regards Dr Sriram Nathan