What could be the cause for frequent fever and sore throat in children??

General Surgeon
Hi my son is 2yrs 5months old, he is getting fever n soar throat quite often (past 4 months he has fever every week) , also he is suffering from cold n cough. This is affecting his eating and school, we have done his blood test pic attached FYI & to advise. We have taken opinions from 2 pediatricians but not satisfied abt their prescription. They say it's season n it's common, can't see him suffer like this..... We are seriously worried n concerned, please advise. Sincerely XXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibly due to Hyper-reactive airway Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX Being a father I do understand your concern and apprehension about your kid. Before i advise you anything, let me reassure you things can be taken care off. Its quite common to see children have repeated upper respiratory tract infection especially around the age of 2- 5 years. They may have 4-5 episodes of upper respiratory infection. Your child seems to have much more often repeated infection. The investigations so far carried out are Normal and there is no cause for concern regarding it. I would consider some of the following factors which need to considered and ruled out appropriately 1. Allergy to Dust and mites: Especially in pillow covers and bed sheet. 2. Sub-clinical Vitamin C deficiency 3. Persistent Hyperactivity of airway following infection/residual infection. Some of the rare causes are 1. Gastro-oesophageal reflux with Laryngo-tracheal reflux: In children there may be acid reflux into the airway leading to Hyperactivity of airway. 2. Congenital Heart disease: It can present with repeated Upper respiratory infection. I would suggest the following Investigation 1. Chest X-Ray 2. 2 D Echocardiography: To rule out any congenital heart disease If the above two investigation are normal then there is no cause for concern. I would suggest the following which will definitely go a long way in helping your kid 1. Regular Washing: Wash all his pillow covers, clothes and bed sheet in Hot water. It will help in clearing dust and mites. 2. Keeping his room clean and dust free 3. Steam inhalation: Electronic steamer will be more convenient. Give steam for 10-15 minutes twice a day. It will help reducing airway congestion and will also be beneficial to facial skin. regularly doing it will reduce hypersensitivity of airway 4. Chyawanprash will be helpful: It has Indian Gooseberry which is richest dietary source of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is very beneficial in management of recurrent respiratory infection. 5. Syrup Levocet M: It contains Cetrizine( antihistaminic) and Montelukast(Mast cell stabilizer). Montelukast helps is reducing airway hypersensitivity by preventing release of inflammatory mediators which cause symptoms of sore throat. It has helped many of my kid patients 6. Decoction: Giving the following decoction regularly will help. 1 cup of milk+ 1 spoon of turmeric+ 10 Tulsi leaves+ 2 Black pepper+ 2 gm fresh ginger+ Sugar(suiting the taste of baby). Boil it. Feed him warm either in glass or wati and spoon. Give him twice a day. Continue giving it regularly I am quite sure it will definitely help him. I assure you that you will get all the assistance you need. Wishing you and your family a Happy and Healthy Life Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: What could be the cause for frequent fever and sore throat in children?? 10 minutes later
Thank you doctor for clarity. Just wondering, if you could see the blood and urine test reports. Sincerely XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Provided Investigations are Normal Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Mr XXXXXXX I had already gone through the reports and mentioned that there does not appear any abnormality. Let me elaborate further The Urine report looks okay except for slight turbid nature. There are epithelial cells seen that is because when the urine is collected it has come in contact with the skin( Prepuce), so presence of 2-3 pus cells in this case is not significant. Coming to blood report There may be increased lymphocytes which may be a normal thing in children. Presence of increased Eosinophils is more significant( your child Eosinophils are normal). His Total count is also normal Rest be assured there is no cause for concern and the reports seem to be okay. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak
Follow-up: What could be the cause for frequent fever and sore throat in children?? 6 minutes later
Thank you! Feeling much better.... Doctor, I am undergoing the same situation and an getting soar throat and fever once in 20 days, though we clean n dust our mattresses and pillows everyday... Looks like it not as per your recommendation. And can I conclude my soar throat or infections are due to same due to dust? Sincerely XXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: The symptoms likely to be of common origin Detailed Answer: Hi Dear Mr XXXXXXX I did just mention that it could be one of the cause of repeated symptoms. Apart from dust in home,air pollutants and pollen grains could also have a role. As you are having the same situation its likely to be common origin, making the probability of common infective/allergic agent more likely. In my practice these are the commonest causes. It would require some form of investigation and effort from your end to know the common origin of agent causing the symptoms in your family. Do get back if you need any further clarification/assistance. Take Care Brother Best Regards Deepak