What could be the cause for burning sensation on tongue?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
I have like a burning sensation on my tounge for a few days What do you think it could be I was stressed a few weeks ago I should so hardx that i felt something poped on the back of my head
Shouted so hard I felt something pop on back of my head im a male age 33
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 2 days later
Brief Answer:
could be just an acute pharyngitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to Health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset let me assure you that it may just be an acute reflux pharyngitis which you are suffering from and in all probability it will become better in a week or so from now.

When you are stressed out or when you scream or shout, our throat comes under a lot of stress directly or indirectly and this leads to the problems which you are facing right now. You need to relax and do these immediately:

1. Take salt water gargle with warm water at least twice a day

2. Start an anti reflux tablet like pantoprazole along with a multivitamin like the zincovit. Unless you do not have pain or other symptoms you do not need to take antibiotics or pain killers. Your doctor will know about these medications.

3. Take only bland diet for the next one week

4. Avoid anything spicy, oily or high flavoured

5. If possible take complete voice rest and if not then use your voice judiciously and do not scream or whisper. Look at your neck muscles in the mirror and if they appear taut when you speak that means you are straining so do not do that.

6. Wait for a week or two for these to work and if that does not improve your condition then you must take an endoscopy of the upper GI and also throat swab along with complete blood profile and get back to me or any ENT with the reports.

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to clear any more doubts that you may have.

Take care and get well soon

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan