What could be the cause for allergic reaction and sore throat after tooth extraction?

I had an upper wisdom tooth removed and the moment I left the dentist I had a severe burning / stinging throat. It lasted the remainder of the day the whole night and most of the following day. It was the worst pain I've ever had in my throat. I went back the next morning to see if it was an allergic reaction but the dentist didn't think it was but all they did was look at it. I ended up getting a bit of a cold right after getting the tooth pulled that I had been fighting off before my opponent. Was this an allergic reaction or just coincidence due to the cold and having my immune system be complicatex? I have a severe fear of allergic reactions and anxiety which is treated with ciprolex but I'm having another tooth pulled in the morning and I'm ultra terrified I'll have an allergic reaction with sore throat pain. Please help.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Not necessary that it will occur again Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXX Thank you for consulting with XXXXXXX This is Dr. Dipti Singh here to answer your query. As you are mentioning that you had an allergic reaction earlier after extraction, it can be possible that it might have occurred because of anesthetic solution which was used at the time of extraction. But there is nothing to worry as it is not necessary that the same thing will happen this time also, you just ask the dentist to use another anesthetic solution. Even the medication which has been prescribed to you will also help you to reduce your anxiety, so please do not panic just relax and the procedure will be carried out easily. Hope it will help you.
Follow-up: What could be the cause for allergic reaction and sore throat after tooth extraction? 28 minutes later
I don't know if it was an allergic reaction or not. It just seemed that it was either that or coincidence getting sick at that exact moment. I didn't have any washes just the freezing needle which I've had many times before for other dental work by other dentist offices. my biggest fear (regardless of how irrational) is that I'll have an allergic reaction or a more severe one if that were the case last time.
Answered by Dr. Dipti Singh 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Just start with an antiallergic Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXX Actually in allergic reactions first you feel itching sensation with discomfort and swelling and some time in severe cases there are ulcers and rashes, which causes pain on eating and chewing. They are uncommon after such procedures. In case you have similar problem in the past while extraction it could be allergic reaction to the anesthetic used during procedure. Better you do not worry for the procedure as the dentist will take care of it and even you have been prescribed medication for it. If you will take so much of tension the procedure will automatically become difficult so you should be relaxed. If still you feel something like that then start with an anti-allergic medications. Thank you