What could be causing chest pains during a hike?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Woukld XXXXXXX Muniz be stable if brought in with chest pains during a hike?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The chest pain during a hike could be due to heart attack. The symptoms of heart attack include squeezing type of chest pain with sweating and nausea/vomiting. The predisposing factors include smoking, stress, obesity, hypertension, diabetes, increased cholesterol, etc.
The other cause of chest discomfort could be because of acidity. Acidity with the features of acid reflux will present as chest discomfort, eructation, with or without burning sensation in the chest and more so after meals.

If the chest discomfort is really troublesome, it could be a heart attack. Investigations need to be done so that proper assessment of the severity of the problem can be done. Necessary investigations include-
1. Troponin -T and CPK-MB
2. ECG in all leads with a rhythm strip in lead 2
3. Echocardiography
4. Tread mill test
5. Thallium scan (Myocardial perfusion scintigraphy)
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: What could be causing chest pains during a hike? 51 minutes later
As you ran the ekg and ran tests what are you seeing oh hie ekg?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to upload the reports of all investigations in the box provided on the right hand side of the query box for an evaluation.
Follow-up: What could be causing chest pains during a hike? 46 minutes later
If you find lead elevations in II III and avi how bad?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Please do attach the full report for proper evaluation. The elevation of segments is worrisome and is suggestive of ischaemic changes. Further Echo and angiography is necessary to find out the degree of damage.