What could a small, red, shiny marks on my glans be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I currently have small red shiny marks on my glans. They are flat and even with skin and do not itch, hurt, ooze, or have a blister. I did receive oral from a female about two months ago, but besides that have been tested clean. I tried putting cortisone cream on it but it doesn't seem to work well. I look up every possible outlook and when I stretch the glans it looks flat and shiney and you can see the red veins. I had it for about 3 weeks and seems to go away with a how shower. I believe its just irritation but would it take this long to go away?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Candidal balanitis Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Seems to be a mild candidal infection of the glans. Clean the area with plain lukewarm water. Avoid using any soaps, antiseptics etc in that area. If i was your treating doctor i would have wanted you to apply a topical steroid+antifungal cream (Beclomethasone+clotrimazole) twice daily for a week. An oral antifungal e.g Fluconazole 150mg stat dose (single dose) can also be taken after getting a prescription from your practitioner. regards

Follow-up: What could a small, red, shiny marks on my glans be? 6 minutes later
Thank you very much...I was worried it was herpes or warts but after all the online research I didn't have any of the symptoms as it was painless and didn't blister and have no discharge. Can I get those steroids over the counter or do I need to go to the doctor? Also, if I left it without a cream would it go away on its own and should I stop with the cortisone,Neosporin, and foot fungal cream?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Get a prescription Detailed Answer: Hi. I would advice that you visit your practitioner and get a prescription for these i.e Clotrimazole+Beclomethasone combination cream and fluconazole 150mg (single dose). I would advice that you apply this preparation for a week which should make it fine. Neosporin is not indicated in your case. Clean the area with plain lukewarm water. Avoid using any soaps, antiseptics etc in that area. Try to practice safer sex with condoms all the time. regards

Follow-up: What could a small, red, shiny marks on my glans be? 1 hour later
Understood...can you tell me what the cause of this is?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Balanitis Detailed Answer: Hi. Balanitis is an infection or inflammation of the skin on the head (glans) of the penis. In men who are not circumcised, this area is covered by a flap of skin known as the foreskin, or prepuce. Balanitis can occur in both circumcised and uncircumcised men, although it occurs more commonly in men who are not circumcised, sometimes due to lack of hygiene. On the other hand sometimes harsh cleansing with soaps and antiseptics can cause irritation which gets superinfected with candida. regards