What could a pea sized lump on my jaw be?

Yesterday I was fine and then when I woke this morning underneath my jaw between the jaw and neck I felt this pea size lump that really hurts to the touch and it hurts when I tilt my head back. It is also swelling. I was wondering should I be concern with this and what could it be. My gums and teeth are fine, they don't hurt.
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...I don't think it should be of any concern. Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. I understand your concern regarding noticing a lump in neck but since it is very small and just recently appeared,it appears more to be an infected swollen local lymph node.This may appear in response to some recent upper tract infection like tonsilitis etc. However there can be various other causes also but there is no need to bother about them at this stage. Normally such type of infected lymph nodes are less than 1cm and generally go away in couple of weeks. In case it doesn't go away in 2 weeks time or if it increases in size,then consult a doctor for proper evaluation. Till then nothing is to be worried and no treatment is required for it at the moment. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks