What could a little bump over swollen tonsils indicate?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My 21 year old daughter has experienced very swollen tonsils for around 4 weeks, and there is a little lump above one. Two different antibiotics have made no difference. She is beginning to worry that it is something sinister like cancer. She has no other symptoms, feels perfectly well, has no fever. One doctor thought it might be glandualr fever (though no idea why as she has no fever and is not unwell). They are so swollne she sometimes feels a little affect on breathing. We are waiting to see a different doctor and possible referral to ENT specialist, but I wanted to know what the likely cause was before we go.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have seen the reports of your daughter, and could notice her swollen tonsils. You are saying to have been using two different antibiotics without any difference. At this point, I'd suggest to do a culture of throat swab for : - bacteria - candida - virus in order to determine the real culprit. Furthermore can do also antibiogram (sensitivity testing) to identify the right medication to treat her tonsils. Next, I'd also suggest to consult an ENT specialist for possible surgical removal of her tonsils. At the end, I advise to: - keep good hygiene of her throat - do throat "gargle" with water and salt - have a teaspoon of olive oil and honey in the morning - get throat spray - take paracetamol or ibuprofen to reduce inflammation (swelling). - keep her nostrils open - ask her to get 2 pillows when sleeping - drink plenty of water and tea (I always suggest linden tea) All the best! Dr.Bardha Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up!