What causes white coating on tongue and dry mouth after taking antibiotics?

HI my tongue has developed a white coat after I have started taking antibiotiic Pantocid-HP mouth is feeling dry and i am feeling uneasy - what can I do ?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Seems like oral candida Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Antibiotics are the usual culprit in causing candida infections. This happens due to rearrangement of the normal flora on the skin and mucous membranes. The helpful bacteria get suppressed due to antibiotics and the fungi overgrow to compensate for the empty space. Even the candida are part of normal flora. Thus the aim of treatment should not be to eradicate them but to reduce them. There are many things that you can do to reduce them. My advice would be as follows: - Can try nystatin mouthwash. Do not ingest it. Oral tablets are not needed for this condition. - Probiotics may help - Drinking pure water will help especially if the normal flora of the intestines also got affected. - Avoid antibiotics and other mouthwashes It is a very common condition and you should not get worried if it persists. Do not try overzealous treatments to cure it. Trying stronger medicines may actually worsen the condition. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee