What causes vomiting in babies?

General Surgeon
Good day, my daughter is 18 months old and the past 3 days vomits her evening formula milk and in the morning. She had a fever Friday and that was it. She vomits then wants the rest of the milk and is fine. During the day nothing. She always drinks her milk lying down and we never had a problem. Could she perhaps have a little tummy bug? Please help as I am concerned. P.s. She os still a happy baby, only lately restless at night. ThAnk you
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: It's likely to be due to regurgitation Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Feeding in lying position is the commonest cause for vomiting (it's more of regurgitation of feeds from the stomach into the oesophagus and into the mouth). As she already 18 months of age she can comfortably sit. Feed her milk or other food stuff using watti and spoon. Burp the child well after every feeds. Following these simple things can bring out the much needed improvement in symptoms. Also prefer home made feeds over formula feeds. I hope it helped. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon
Follow-up: What causes vomiting in babies? 55 minutes later
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. One last thing, when I give her milk during the day lying down she does not vomit why so? She does eat solids already but before she goes to bed she likes a bottle of milk and in the morning before breakfast. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Reflux is more common during night Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings During night there is increased relaxation of lower oesophageal sphincter promoting reflux of gastric contents. So reflux is more common during night. Making her drink in sitting position and burping her will solve the issue. Wishing your daughter happy and healthy life. Do get back to me for any assistance anytime Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore
Follow-up: What causes vomiting in babies? 31 minutes later
Thank you, sorry why do u think it only happened now as I have always let her drink lying down? Could there be more or mayn't I am worrying for nothing. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sitting up position during feeds recommended Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings It could be just temporary issue. It's always recommended not to feed in lying down position, if not vomiting, aspiration is also prevented. Take care Best Regards Deepak