What causes vomiting and loose stool in a 18 month old?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
18 month boy has stomach infection looks like....has puked 3 times in the last six hours and has very loose stool....creamy yellowish about 3 times pls sgst
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Likely to be viral infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Diarrhea in children is usually brought on by gastrointestinal (GI) infections caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites. Most likely it is viral diarrhea. The main motive of treatment is prevention of dehydration. Preventing or treating dehydration in infants focuses on replacing lost fluid and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). Administering special fluids by mouth (oral rehydration therapy) is the most effective way of doing this. You can give oral rehydration treatments (such as Pedialyte or Infalyte) and they are available OTC in pharmacies or grocery stores. Rehydration fluids have a brief shelf life. Once a bottle has been opened or a mix prepared, it must be used or thrown out within 24 hours because bacteria rapidly grow in the solution. If he is behaving normal and has normal appetite then there is nothing much to worry about. You can give him Domstal drops for vomiting every 6 hourly. Gradually give him BRAT diet (i.e. bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet and whitegrape juice. You can take some general measures like- 1. You can start by giving him soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc. 2.Replace lost fluid and salts: Give him broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables. Give him clear soups, clear sodas or juice mixed with water to help prevent dehydration. You should avoid giving plain water and dark sodas. 3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm water as long as symptoms persist. If the symptoms are not relieved , medical treatment is needed after proper examination from a pediatrician. If the child is irritable, not eating anything, has altered sensorium, has signs of dehydration, has been vomiting longer than 12 hours or is vomiting with great force, has blood in his stools or vomit or has not urinated in last 8 hours then you need to rush him to Emergency Room. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL