What causes ureaplasma?

May 2013
Hi. My husband has recently been diagnosed as a sex addict who ha had sex with multiple partners without my knowledge. When I became aware of this, I was tested for STDs and learned I had urea plasma, for which I was treated. When my husband was tested, his results for STDs were negative. How can this be? I have had no other sexual partners.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Part of natural flora, contact Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. -Ureaplasma can be present in the natural genital flora of the female. And can be diagnosed when specifically tested for. When the general immunity decreases, infection can flare up. -Apart from sexual contact it can be acquired by direct contact with infected material and in the form of hospital acquired infections. So may be because of one of the above causes you might have acquired the infection. By completing the course of antibiotics possibly the infection can be treated. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes ureaplasma? 31 minutes later
I have not been hospitalised. So are you saying the urea plasma bacteria is part of the natural environment in the female vagina, and therefore does not necessarily come from sexual contact? My understanding was that it could only be acquired through sexual contact. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Other routes of transmission Detailed Answer: Hi, Apart from sexual contact ureaplasma is having few other routes of transmission like: - Growth from natural flora -Direct contact -Mother to baby -Hospital acquired. Reference : WWW.WWWW.WW html Take care.